On 02 Dec 1742 Count Zinzendorf
visited the house of Jacob Huber, located about one mile north of the present
day Lititz. Zinzendorf delivered an
address to the neighboring farmers, but the nearest neighbor John George Klein
did not attend because he did not like Zinzendorf. During the night, his conscience so bothered
him that he followed Zinzendorf to
The settlers in the area around
Lititz became interested in the
Linden Hall Girls School, the oldest resident school for girls in America, had its beginnings in the Gemeinhaus where Reverend Schnell first taught the girls and boys in 1746.
In Apr 1754 Bishop Spangenberg
returned from Europe where he had consulted with Count Zinzendorf about a new
Lititz was to be a less austere
settlement than those of Bethlehem and Nazareth, as many of the colonists were not suited for such a restricted life. This city was to provide greater freedom of
action and enterprise than previous settlements. However, for the first hundred years, only
members of the
The rules tried to ensure that there would be no Alight-minded, disorderly and needless conversation, no changing of professions, no giving a night=s lodging to any person or no undertaking a journey, neither far or near, without permission.@ The rules banned Adancing, taverning, feasting at weddings, christenings, or burials, common sports or pastimes and playing of children in the streets . . . . They that have inclinations that way cannot live in Lititz.@
On 09 Feb 1757 Bishop Nathaniel
Seidel and a surveyor laid out the streets and lots for the town. All of the land in the
The first house was a stone building
that Klein had built before leaving. The
house was later torn down, but part of it forms the back wall of the brick
On 11 Nov 1757 the grist mill was completed and the saw mill on 20 Apr 1758, adding two important elements to the prosperous development of the community. These local mills were important to all as a meeting place where farmers could have their grain ground for shares and non-farmer could buy flour and corn meal.
In 1758 the Single Brothers' Economy was established. Workers building the Sisters' and the Brothers' Houses in new settlement were kept separately in a house near the farm buildings of Henry Haller who was in charge of the congregation farm. Haller was the future father-in-law of Joseph Ferdinand Bullitschek. The Haller barn (also called the Klein barn) still stands at the southwest corner of Front and Water Streets in Lititz, but it has been converted into apartments.
On 14 May 1759 the
In 1764, Zum Anker (Anchor
Inn) was opened to house the outsiders who came to trade in the community. The inn still operates in Lititz today at
Main and Broad Streets under the name of the General Sutter Inn, renamed for
Johann Augustus Sutter of
The early town had the Brothers' House for the males, the Sisters' House for the women, a grist mill, a saw mill, a general store, a tavern, an apothecary, and a potash factory. The town later became the site of the country's first pretzel factory. The shop still produces some excellent pretzels. Most activities of daily life were conducted in German as were the diaries of the community.
Because the Brothers' and Sisters' houses had to be self-supporting, each had its own farm. The houses were also the sources for vocational training. The Brothers' house could train a young man as a weaver, baker, nail smith, hatter, carpenter, butcher, tailor or shoemaker. The Sisters' house taught needlework, embroidery, hosiery, and confectionery.
Because of the constant threat of fire, the Aufseher Collegium ruled that pottery shops should be on the south side of the street so that the sparks blew away from the houses. They created rules governing the location of shops and houses, the location of fireplaces and bake ovens in those buildings and the use and the cleaning of chimneys. Fire was not to be taken from building to building unless it was in a protected container. Smoking cigars on the streets was not permitted. They were even warned of the dangers of cats lying too close to the fireplace.
General George Washington
commandeered the Brethren's House as a military hospital from 19 Dec 1777 until
28 Aug 1778. The building was
over-crowded with 500-1,000 wounded, cared for by two doctors. One hundred ten soldiers died and were buried
in a plot east of town. In 1778 Dr.
William Brown, Physician General of the
The caring for the Continental forces did much to firm the Moravian sentiment for the American cause. The cause of these suffering men slowly became a shared belief.
The present church, the fifth place of worship, was built in 1787. It was remodeled in 1857 when the vestibule and pulpit recess were added.
The closed settlement plan was dropped on 23 Jul 1855, allowing outsiders into the community. The city is located in the heart of Amish and Mennonite country.